our sweetheart may have the key to
your heart, but a proper diet and regular
physical activity can be the key to a
Christa and Patrick Page say couples
who sweat together, stay healthy together.
The married couple work out together at Gold’s Gym in
LaGrange, New York.
“We definitely push each other to do more,” said Christa.
“When you’re working out with a companion, you’re more
likely to go because they’re depending on you. You don’t
Together, the couple take yoga and kickboxing classes,
work out with a trainer and enjoy outdoor sports like
snowboarding, paddle boarding and mountain biking.
“We just really enjoy each other’s company and push each
other to be healthy,” Christa said. “We feel more energized,
“With yoga, it’s a great, intense workout,” said Patrick.
“But it’s good to relax for an hour and de-stress together.”
The American Heart Association recommends 30 minutes
of exercise most days of the week to prevent heart disease
Here are 12 ways to couple up for heart health.
1. Quality time is one of the most meaningful gifts.
Take an active outing together, such as hiking,
rollerblading or skiing.
2. Build a cozy fire. It will soon be time for a fire, and
chopping and collecting wood counts as exercise.
3. Try a new physical activity together like indoor
rock climbing or golf lessons.
4. Make reservations at your favorite healthy
restaurant. Sample a variety of heart-healthy menu
items and share a dessert to help control calories.
5. Create a gourmet dinner at home with healthy
seasonal foods such as sweet potatoes, Brussels
sprouts, apples, pears, carrots and squash. Try
baking, roasting or steaming, and use lean meats and
6. Add the spice of life, but not the sodium.
Pledge to reduce sodium in your meals to help
prevent high blood pressure and stroke.
7. Roast chestnuts on an open fire. Roasted,
unsalted nuts of all varieties are great as appetizers
and gifts. You can also add nuts to many dishes,
such as green beans with dry roasted almonds.
8. Hit the dance floor. What’s more romantic than
taking your sweetheart out for a spin on the dance
floor? Even if it’s just around the living room, dancing
is a great aerobic activity.
9. Walk and talk. Set up regular morning or evening
walks together to get in your 30 minutes of exercise
while connecting with each other.
10. Meditate and de-stress together. Keeping stress
out of a marriage isn’t easy, but building in time to
meditate together can help keep you focused on the
important things in life.
11. Roll out your yoga mat side by side. Get a
beginner’s yoga video or try taking a yoga class
12. Work out together. Don’t hit the gym alone.
Couples can support and motivate each other,
and keep each other committed to achieving
Health as a Couple
By American Heart Association News